Disaster Preparedness and Recovery

The LDA will assist members in any way they can in disaster recovery. The office can be contacted directly at 1-800-388-6642 or 225-926-1986. You can also e-mail us at info@ladental.org. If you need a specific staff member, click here for a staff directory. 

We would like to hear from or about members who may be in need of assistance. Please send us an email or call us and let us know your status if your area has been impacted. Any member from any part of the state who has damage or needs help should also contact us. ADA and LDA disaster grants are available to those with damage. See below for more info and grant applications.

Ward Blackwell - ward@ladental.org

Annette Droddy - annette@ladental.org or info@ladental.org

Sharon Elliott - sharon@ladental.org

Tisha White - tisha@ladental.org

Jeanne Parr - jeanne@ladental.org

Candice Castro - candice@ladental.org

LDA Foundation and ADA Foundation Grants for Dentists for Disaster Relief

LDA grant applications can be found on our website at http://www.ladental.org/lda/dental-resources/lda-foundation

The ADA Foundation emergency grant information can be found at http://www.adafoundation.org/en/how-to-apply/charitable-assistance. (There is a downloadable version of the ADA form on the ADA website that is available for members who do not remember or have an ADA password.)

Note: Apply for both grants and we can accept both applications and in certain cases, we can waive the 10-day waiting period for awarding the LDA benefit (if you are applying for both). The ADA's Emergency Disaster Grant funds are limited to meeting disaster victims’ most urgent and vital needs immediately following a disaster. Emergency grants are not intended for more long-term needs such as rebuilding homes and buildings or replacing household and personal belongings. Grant funds cannot be used to replace lost income. Emergency Disaster Grant funding is not intended for replacement of dental practice property, dental supplies, staff salary, etc. Emergency grants are to address the following immediate needs: Food, Bottled water, Clothing, Blankets, Medicine and medical supplies, Emergency shelter and Toiletries.

Other ADA information resources for dentists:

Endorsed Company Information and Insurance Carriers (updated as of 2/16/17)

  • Campus Federal Credit Union (click here for a flier) is offering special Disaster Relief Loans specifically for members in the affected areas of the recent Tornadoes.  Additionally, they have compiled Disaster Relief Information. Become a member today! For more information on disaster relief or how to become a member call 1-888-769-8841.

  • LDA members who have Bank of America credit cards and need to reach them can contact customer service at 1-800-432-1000. Additionally, a team is ready to assist anyone needing assistance in the Bank of America Columbus office.  Members in need should call 1-800-497-6076 to talk to a representative and learn of the options available to them.

  • The ADA has also let us know that US Bank is offering special help for affected dentists. Dentists affected by the Louisiana tornadoes who are also customers with US Bank’s ADA Visa Card program should reach out to US Bank either directly or through ADA Business Resources, Inc.  The bank has special programs to accommodate members affected by natural disasters.     

  • Fortress and Brown & Brown Association Services Professionals are dedicated to assisting policyholders impacted by disasters.  Policyholders impacted by a natural disaster are encouraged to contact Brown & Brown at (888) 503-5547 to discuss options for short-term accommodations to assist during their time of hardship.

  • LDA's endorsed insurance carrier, Brown & Brown Association Services Professionals, can be contacted by calling or emailing Contact Stormy Blair at 985-674-3886 or 1-888-503-5547, or sblair@bb-asp.com.

Miscellaneous Resources, Phone Numbers, and Websites

Patterson Dental Louisiana Relief Plan: Patterson Dental, a business unit of Patterson Companies, today announced it is offering a variety of financial terms to dentists operationally affected by historic flooding in southeastern Louisiana in order to help them re-equip and re-supply their dental practice. Patterson Dental’s outreach efforts are being conducted within impacted communities through its New Orleans branch. Dentists affected by flooding in Louisiana in the parishes where a state of emergency has been declared can obtain assistance from Patterson by contacting their local representative or by calling 800.873.7683, which routes callers to the nearest dental branch.

Henry Schein Recovery Guide for Dentists

Federal Disaster Assistance: The first step you should take is apply for federal financial aid by registering with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Disaster Recovery Centers are key to helping those affected by the devastating flooding disaster, and it’s important that FEMA gets them up and running as quickly as possible. FEMA has announced that a couple more Disaster Recovery Centers are now open in East Baton Rouge, Pointe Coupee, and Lafayette parishes. These recovery centers will operate daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice. Check out the info below:

False River Parking Lot: 1200 Major Parkway, New Roads, LA 70760

Baker Council on Aging: 3334 Jefferson Street, Baker, LA 70714

Lafayette Court (at University and Lee): 301 West University Avenue, Lafayette, LA 70506

Small Business Association Loan Programs:
The Walker Business Recovery Center opened 8/18, offering a wide range of services to businesses impacted by the severe storms and flooding that began last week.The center is located at the Southeastern Louisiana University Literacy and Technology Center, Room 101, 9261 Florida Blvd. in Walker. It will be open on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary. All services are provided free of charge.SBA representatives will meet with each business owner to explain how an SBA Disaster Loan can help finance their recovery.


Tips on Hiring a Contractor from the LA State Licensing Board for Contractors: http://www.lslbc.louisiana.gov/app/uploads/weathering_the_storm.pdf

Emergency Shelters: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/information/immediate-needs#emergency-shelter

American Red Cross Flood Information for Louisiana: http://www.redcross.org/local/louisiana/flood-information or call 1-866-GET INFO (438-4636); Baton Rouge ARC - 225-291-4533; New Orleans ARC - 504-620-3105; Shreveport ARC - 318-865-9545; Monroe ARC - 318-323-5141; Alexandria ARC - 318-442-6621; Lafayette ARC - 337-234-7371; or Covington ARC - 504-620-3105.

Flooded Areas Map/News:

House or Office Flooded, What to Do Next Resources:

Governors Office of Emergency Preparedness (Many resources, packing lists and preparation lists): www.gohsep.la.gov  or http://www.getagameplan.org/

Department of Insurance Resources: https://www.ldi.la.gov/floodrecovery/

Louisiana Department of Economic Development Flood Recovery Assistance: http://www.opportunitylouisiana.com/flood-recovery-assistance

Local Employees Wanted for Jobs in Louisiana Disaster Recovery: http://www.thecreole.com/?p=58546

Disaster Nutrition Plan: http://www.dcfs.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=360 (If your household is impacted by damages or lost wages due to a hurricane or other diaster (like flooding), you may qualify for DSNAP. DSNAP provides eligible low- to moderate-income households - who do not normally receive SNAP benefits - with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.)

LSU AgCenter Resources Regarding Food Safety and Cleaning After a Flood:


Salvaging furniture

Food and Water Safety after Flooding

Food safety expert offers tips to clean, sanitize flooded kitchens

Take these steps for mold removal and prevention after a flood

NAIC Disaster Preparedness Insurance Tips

• Take an inventory of your valuables and belongings. This includes taking photographs or a video of each room. This will help your insurance company process claims more quickly by providing documentation of your belongings.

• To enable filing claims more quickly, keep sales receipts and/or canceled checks. Also note the model and serial numbers of the items in your home inventory.

• To protect your belongings in case disaster strikes, make sure you have adequate insurance coverage and that your insurance policies are up to date.

• Store copies of all your insurance policies in a safe location away from your home that is easily accessible in case of disaster. You might want to store your policies and inventory in a waterproof, fireproof box or in a safe, remote location such as a bank safe deposit box. Consider leaving a copy of your inventory with relatives, friends or your insurance provider and store digital pictures in your email or on a Web site for easy retrieval.

• Know what is (and is not) covered by your insurance policy. You might need additional protection depending on where you live.

• Appraise your home periodically to make sure your insurance policy reflects home improvements or renovations. Contact your insurance provider annually to review and update your insurance policy as needed.

• Keep a readily available list of 24-hour contact information for each of your insurance providers.

• Find out if your possessions are insured for the actual cash value or the replacement cost. Actual cash value is the amount it would take to repair or replace damage to your home or possessions after depreciation. Replacement cost is the amount it would take to repair or replace your home or possessions without deducting for depreciation. Speak with your insurance provider to determine whether purchasing replacement coverage is worth the cost.

• As you acquire more valuables — jewelry, family heirlooms, antiques, art — consider purchasing an additional “floater” or “rider” to your policy to cover these special items. These types of items typically are not covered by a basic homeowners or renter’s insurance policy.

• Remember to include in your home inventory those items you rarely use (e.g., holiday decorations, sports equipment, tools, etc.)

• Speak with your insurance provider to find out if your policy covers additional living expenses for a temporary residence if you are unable to live in your home due to damage from a disaster.

Emergency Preparedness Checklist:

Send copies of important documents to your out-of-town contact person.

Have a pet care plan. Shelters do not always accept pets. Contact your local animal shelter.

Prepare a medical information list that includes the names and contact information for medical providers, health insurance information, medications you use, adaptive and support equipment you use, allergies and sensitivities and special care instructions.

Items for a Disaster Supply Kit include: nonperishable food, bottled water, non-electric can opener, paper/plastic utensils, toiletries/personal hygiene items, water purification tablets, important documents, First Aid Kit, flashlight and batteries, bug repellent, sun-screen, battery operated radio, booster cables, auto tire repair kit.

Important Family Documents:

(Keep these records in a waterproof, portable container)

[ ] Copy of will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds
[ ] Copy of passports, Social Security cards, immunization records
[ ] Record of credit card accounts
[ ] Record of bank account numbers, names, and phone numbers
[ ] Inventory of valuable household goods, important telephone numbers
[ ] Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates)
[ ] Copy of Supplemental Security Income award letter

NAIC Post-Disaster Insurance Tips

• Call your agent or insurance company’s claims hotline and file your claim as soon as possible. Remember to have your policy number and other relevant information readily available. Your policy might require that you make the notification within a certain time frame.

• Collaborate with your insurance company. Ask what documents, forms and data you will need to file a claim. Provide your insurance company with accurate, detailed information. Incorrect or incomplete information will cause a delay in processing your claim.

• Keep a log of all conversations with insurance companies, creditors or relief agencies. Keep copies and records of all correspondence. Write down information about your telephone and in-person discussions, including the date, name and title of the person you spoke with and what was said. Also keep a record of your time and expenses.

• If your home is damaged to the extent that you cannot live there, ask your insurance company if your policy covers additional living expenses.

• Take photographs or a video of the damage.

• Your homeowners and auto policies might require you to make temporary repairs to protect your property from further damage. If possible, take photographs or a video of the damage before making temporary repairs.

• Save all receipts from the temporary and permanent repairs covered by your insurance policy. Your policy should cover the cost of these temporary repairs.

• You might want to postpone permanent repairs until your insurance company has inspected the property and you have reached an agreement on the repair costs. Be prepared to provide the claims adjuster with records of any improvements you made prior to the damage.

• When possible, determine what it will cost to repair your property before you meet with the claims adjuster. Ask the claims adjuster for an itemized explanation of the claim settlement offer.

• If the first offer made by an insurance company does not meet your expectations, be prepared to negotiate the offer.

• Secure bids from multiple contractors. Ask for at least three references and check with your state licensing board and the Better Business Bureau about the contractor’s record. Ask for proof of necessary licenses, building permits, insurance and bonding. Record the contractor’s license plate number and driver’s license number.

• Be wary of contractors who demand payment in full before work is completed. If the contractor needs payment to buy supplies, accompany the contractor and pay the supplier directly.

• If you cannot cover all of your living expenses following a disaster, contact your creditors to negotiate a payment plan.

• If you are injured in the disaster, ask your physician to provide your insurance company with details about your treatment, medical conditions and prognosis.

• If you suspect a medical provider is overcharging, ask the insurance company to audit the bill and verify whether the provider used the proper billing procedure.

• If there is a disagreement about a claim, ask the company for a written letter explaining the reason for the denial and the specific policy language under which the claim is being denied. If you have any questions regarding the fairness of your settlement, contact your state insurance department for assistance.

Whom to Contact About Replacement of Important Documents:

Driver's License

Department of Motor Vehicles

Government Issued ID

Contact the issuing authority

Insurance policies

Your insurance agent or company

Military discharge

Department of Veterans Affairs, papers
225-922-0500, 1-800-827-1000 or TDD/TTY 1-800-829-4833


State Department—Passport Services,
202-955-0430 (24 hours)

Birth, death and marriage certificates

Bureau of Records in the appropriate state

Social Security or Medicare cards

Local Social Security office, 1-800-772-1213 or TDD/TTY 1-800-325-0778

Credit cards

The issuing companies as soon as possible


Contact issuing financial institution


Contact issuing financial institution

American Express



1-800-discover (1-800-347-2683),
TDD/TTY 1-800-347-7449

Titles to deeds

Records department of the area in which the property is located

Stocks and bonds

Issuing company or your broker


Your attorney

Income tax record

The IRS center where filed, your accountant or

Citizenship papers

Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, 1-800-375-5283

Mortgage papers

Lending institution

Links with this symbolare password protected for LDA members only.

LDA Member Login

Username = ADA Number
Password = Last Name
(You must capitalize the first letter of your last name.)