The Small Town Health Professionals credit provides an individual income tax credit for certified medical primary care health professionals. Applications will be approved as eligible on a first-come-first-serve basis as determined by the received date of a completed Louisiana Small Town Health Professional Credit Application. No taxpayer shall receive the credit for more than five years.
Who: Rural primary care practitioners, including: Family Physicians, General practice physicians, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology physicians, primary care Nurses Practitioners, primary care Physician Assistants, Dentists and Optometrists.
What: The Small Town Health Professionals credit allows approved applicants to receive a nonrefundable tax credit in the mount of $3,600 unless subject to proration
When: For 2021, this program will accept applications from September 1st - October 31st. No late applications will be accepted.
Where: Must practice in a rural area as defined in rules promulgated by the Department of Health and be located in a Health Professional Shortage (HPSA) designated area. Please visit: https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/am-i-rural to determine whether the practice location is in a Rural and HPSA area.
How to Apply:
Please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/taxcredit2021. Please make sure to have the following documents and information available (Once the application is started, it has to be completed; there is no save option):
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
- Scanned copy of your current medical license
- Medical License Number
- NPI Number
- Medicaid/Medicare Numbers
- Saved “Am I Rural” report
- Patient Information
- Total # of Medicaid Patients personally seen in 2020
- Total # of Medicare Patients personally seen in 2020
- Be sure to carefully follow instructions found on application on how to save file types.
- The U.S. Census Bureau occasionally updates designations, therefore facilities that were previously considered Rural/Underserved can lose its designations and locations that previously did not qualify could now be Rural/Underserved. Past applicants are encouraged to verify by first visiting the “Am I Rural” link found above.
For additional Information, review the following documents: